New York City Spousal Support Attorney
Factors in Determining Spousal Support
Several factors go into determining whether spousal maintenance should be paid and in what amount:
- Age and health of each spouse
- Needs of each spouse, including existing financial obligations and the standard of living during the marriage
- Spouses' ability to support themselves
Depending on consideration of these factors, there are different kinds of spousal support which can be ordered:
- Temporary — temporary spousal support can be issued pending the official termination of the marriage. The temporary order is replaced by a final order once a ruling has been made or an agreement has been reach reached.
- Rehabilitative — rehabilitative support is a payment to a spouse designed to help them obtain a career (through education or training) so that they can support themselves.
- Duration — a typical court order for spousal support terminates when the supported spouse dies or remarries. Depending on the circumstances, support is usually ordered for a limited amount of time. In some cases, support is ordered for the life of the recipient.
- Purpose — the intention of spousal support is to provide for the spouse and make him or her self-sustaining. The amount and duration may be modified by the court if circumstances change.
Alimony Lawyer in New York City
Divorce is a challenging and emotional time for all people involved. Worrying about your financial well-being after the marriage ends only adds to the stress of the situation. Divorcing spouses can mutually agree to spousal maintenance or it may be ordered by the court. No matter how the spousal support comes about, it will need to be addressed by a professional
New York City divorce lawyer that can ensure that all legal proceedings are handled appropriately.
Spousal support can result from cases of contested or
uncontested divorce; it may be the outcome of a
no fault split between a couple. The way in which the marriage ended plays no part in determining whether or not spousal maintenance will be necessary. At the Law Offices of Andrew J. Spinnell, a dedicated divorce lawyer can help resolve any questions you may have regarding the potential for spousal support as it applies to your situation. Your financial concerns will be listened to and then diligently worked upon in order to protect your future standard of living and peace of mind.
Contact a Manhattan divorce attorney to learn more about the legal terms of your divorce or separation.